Birdies #: 1775
Location: Rock Island, IL
Mission: The Martin Luther King Center builds community, nurtures dreams and changes lives.
Impact of charity on the community:
Named the 2019 Outstanding Non-Profit Organization by the Rock Island Community Foundation.
Since it was established in 1975, the Martin Luther King Center has been a source of education, connection and opportunity.
- Out-of-school enrichment for children age 6-14, at no cost to parents
- School-based substance abuse and teenage pregnancy prevention
- Community-based counseling
- Free tax return preparation for low-income families and individuals
- Annual community events, including Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas party, Memorial Service for Dr King, and Family Fun Day
- A variety of volunteer-led clubs that provide structured social and recreational activities, such as ACTIVE Club for senior citizens, and the Metropolitan Youth Drill Team